First National Judicial Pay Commission
Last updated: 17-03-2022
- In pursuance of the directions of the Supreme Court, the First National Judicial Pay Commission (FNJPC) was set up in March, 1996 under the Chairmanship of Justice K. J. Shetty to examine the service conditions and salary structure of the Judicial Officers in the country.
- The necessary funds for the functioning of the Commission were arranged by Department of Justice.
- The Commission submitted its report to the Government and Supreme Court of India on 11.11.1999.
- The Supreme Court examined the report in full and accepted the recommendations of the FNJPC with various modifications and directed all State Governments to implement it vide Order dated 21.03.2002.
- The recommendations of the FNJPC were considered by the Central Government in so far as they related to the Judicial Officers of the Union Territories for which the Central Government is administratively responsible. Therefore, the recommendations of the FNJPC were accepted and implemented by Department of Justice in respect of Judicial Officers of UTs.
- All the State Governments also implemented the recommendations of the FNJPC.