Functions of Department
Last Updated : 19-09-2022
- Appointment, resignation and removal of the Chief Justice of India, Judges of the Supreme Court of India and High Courts; their salaries, rights in respect of leave of absence (including leave allowances), pensions and travelling allowances.
- Constitution and organization (excluding jurisdiction and powers) of the Supreme Court (but including contempt of such Court) and the fees taken therein.
- Constitution and organization of the High Courts and the Courts of Judicial Commissioners except provisions as to officers and servants of these Courts.
- Constitution and organization of Courts in the Union Territories and fees taken in such Courts.
- Implementation of proposals recommended and approved under Finance Commission awards.
- Collection of data on institution, disposal, pendency of cases in Courts and monitoring the status of under trial prisoners.
- Initiate policy measures for judicial reforms.
- Setting up and operationalization of National Mission for Justice delivery and Legal reforms.
- Setting up of Fast Track Special Courts (FTSCs) for speedy trial and disposal of cases of sexual offences.
- Creation of All India Judicial Service (AIJS).
- Implementation of various schemes to facilitate development and modernization of infrastructure for justify judiciary.
- Strengthening Department of Justice – e-office, statistical wing, revamping of official website and training thereupon.
- All matters related to National Judicial Academy.
- Achieve the objective of universal computerisation of all the District & Subordinate Court complexes by provision of hardware, software and WAN connectivity in close coordination with the eCommitee of The Supreme Court of India as a part of the eCourts Project.
- Implementation of Central Sector Scheme “Designing Innovative Solutions for Holistic Access to Justice in India (DISHA)” to further the cause of access to justice.
- All matters related to National Legal Services Authority (NALSA).